You Can take 3D Pictures and Videos
The 3DS comes with a 3D Camera/Video which you can try out, which utilise the AR Games (Augmented reality). A back camera for standard high quality shots and a front camera to please the “duck face” selfie addicts of the world, the 3DS definitely goes above and beyond its intended use. With the 3D recording feature, users can take up to 10-minute videos, with a number of functions.
You Can Play Multi-media files
It means you can listen to music and watch videos. 3DS has a free app which is called Nintendo Video. It doesn’t have YouTube videos and there’s usually only a few at a time, mainly episodes of Dinosaur Office, some MVs and such. It also has a music player, which is also has novelty pitch and speed sliders so if you ever wanted to hear what your favourite song sounds like at chipmunk pitch … The music player is decent enough.
You can browse the web
The 3DS comes with an internet browser and note functionality as well if it interests you. The internet browser is okay, although it’s nowhere near as good as any browser you can get on a PC. It is slow as mobile browsers go, but load mobile sites fairly quickly so you can check your email, read NL news, post photos, etc.
What to Do:
Tap the blue circular icon in the upper-right corner of the HOME Menu to launch the Internet Browser.
You Can Text Messages
Another feature that sets the Nintendo 3DS apart from the pack is its ability to send text messages to friends in multiple languages. After signing up for a TextNow account, gamers can send and reply to messages from Nintendo network friends. This also expands to include those not in the network as the app allows for the communication between the 3DS and real phones! Who needs a phone when you can have the best of both worlds right here? All we need is some emojis and we are good to go!
You Can Install CFW
Yes, you can install Custom Firmware. The 3ds in 2018 is hacked completedly. Even on the latest 3ds v11.6.0-39E/U/J, you can install a custom firmware buy a cheap R4 card and a free magnet. The method is called NTRboothax and the tutorial is here.
- What makes you install CFW on 3DS: NTRBoothax and its compatible flashcarts and a magnet. That’s all you need.
- What to do for setting up CFW to 3DS: If you choose the R4I SDHC 3DS to flash NTRboothax to 3DS to install Boot9strap and Luma3DS CFW, following this guide.
- What you can do after getting 3DS CFW: Many functions you will have on 3DS via the 3DS Custom Fimrware installed.
- Play all game cards and eShop games, regardless of region
- Customize your HOME Menu with user-created themes and splash screens
- Use “ROM hacks” for games that you own
- Take gameplay and application screenshots
- Backup, edit, and restore saves for many games
- Play games for older systems with various emulators, using RetroArch or other standalone emulators. (Works best with a New Nintendo 3DS)
- Install homebrew titles to your system, and have them appear on your HOME Menu
- Dump your game cards to a format you can install, and play them without needing the card
- New 3DS or New 2DS only: stream live gameplay to your PC wirelessly with NTR CFW
- Run many old Nintendo DS flash carts that were blocked long ago or never worked on Nintendo 3DS
- Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew
You Can Homebrew 3DS
Yes, you are be able to homebrew 3ds as well in 2018. With or without using the 3ds cfw, you can homebrew 3DS by 2 methods. One is using 3ds homebrew exploits the other is buying 3ds r4 cards. 3DS homebrew exploits make you install Homebrews freely on any 3DS, while the R4 flashcard lets you get DS homebrews on 3DS and play free NDS games.
- What makes you install Homebrews on 3DS: Ninjhax 2.9 or Freakyhax, they are 2 free ways for you to Homebrew a 3ds with any firmware version if you have the certain game cartridge. R4 3ds cards, they are with DS Homebrew&game compatibility, are hacking any DSI/3DS firmware console to run free ds games and ds homebrews.
- What to do for setting up Homebrew to 3DS: If you choose the homebrew exploits, google Ninjhax 2.9 or Freakyahx to get the tutorial. If you choose an R4 card for 3ds, you can get the instruction here.
- What you can do after getting 3DS Homebrews: Not that powerful as having 3DS CFW. But you still can do a list of things on 3DS.
- Region-free play of physical cartridge games
- Overclocking full usage of new 3DS processor for better game performance [see this archived post from this subreddit]
- Back-up of save files for games (enables sharing of save files or multiple saves on games with single save slots)
- Fan-made modifications/patches for games (language patches, re-textures, etc)
- Play games developed for 3DS via homebrew (there’s a 3DS version of Portal)
- Use other homebrew software like file browsers (homebrew Pokemon Bank in the making)